Monday, August 22, 2011

Three Strikes You're Out?

I should preface this entry by saying this:  I don't complain in a restaurant very often. Expect for lately where it seems like every meal out has has something wrong with it.   Being in the industry - especially as a manager -  I really do appreciate it when a guest doesn't like their meal and they let me know.   Its the only way we can fix things, and its my chance to speak to the guest to get their feedback.  And its my last chance to keep them as a guest.   If I ignore the problem, they'll never be back.   Case In Point:  The Berwick Public House. As you have learned by now, there isn't a lot of selection for food right in our neighbourhood.  Luckily though the next subdivision over, Cranston, has a good one!   Well it was good :/  

It's never been our favourite local pub, but it's convienent because their kitchen is open late.   We'll usually end up there on a Friday night when I'm off at 11 and starving.   So, yes, I am the guest you hate who comes in at midnight and orders from the entrees as you're trying to shut down your kitchen.  But guess what?  I don't care.   One of the first times we went there I had a craving for something NOT meat and potatoes.   CRAZY!    So I throw caution to the wind and order the Chicken Pot Pie.  It is fabulous !  Served in a large round ramekin the inside was piping hot and the puff pasrty crust was home made and gorgeous, billowing up high and spilling over the edges.  ooooohhhhhhh drooling....   Served with my favourite vegetables, brocolli and carrots and cauliflower on the side.  Simply steamed in butter and salt and pepper.  I even ate all the mushrooms and onions inside the pie because it just tasted sooo good.

Flash forward a year.  It's late and I'm hungry.  Imagine that. I want my pot pie. But when it comes out, I'm horrified. What is this thing?? The inside was runny, like soup, and the pastry on top was clearly a cut out Pillsbury dough, just thrown on the top all willy nilly. It didn't even cover the top of the dish. But I was hungry so I ate it anyway. I usually boycott a place if I've had a bad time but this one I was going to let slide.

Just a few weeks ago we headed back to the Berwick for a nice patio lunch. It's a nice patio, really sunny, the only downfall is the tables are awfully close together. Guess what I ordered?! Yup, Beef Dip! I dug right into mine as did Mike with his Philly Cheesesteak. It was at the end of the meal I saw it.... a hair. A massive - huge - long black hair. GROSS. I'm gagging. The server comes over, apologizes and takes it away. Then she doesn't come back. For what feels like ever. Our beers had run dry, and now I'm sad. This place has had so many chances. Turns out the manager took it off the bill, but he/she never came out to speak to us. I just think that is so wrong. Show your face, take care of your guests.

You're probably thinking "Tam, cut your losses, find a new place". Well I went back again last week. I was going for the pot pie of course, but HOLY FUCK ?! What is that??!!!! Now this dish is served in a long flat ramekin, with that same square of fake pastry, that only covers one half of the dish. But wait! There is squash now, and zucchini (or leeks). There is not one iota of chicken pot pie about this dish. For fucks sake. Sorry server lady, you were nice and all, but this is atrocious. I told her how disappointed I was with this, and she took it away and off my bill. Again, no manager surfaced. So we downed our beers, dropped a 20 and peaced out. I settled with McDonalds that night, and went to bed still upset.

I really apologize for how long this entry is, but I had to get it off my chest. The Berwick needs to review some policies, maybe give their managers a course in guest relations because they have lost a guest for good. After all the chances I've given them no one has really tried to make it right for me so I'm done. Three strikes, you're out Berwick.

On to bigger and better places now!


Berwick Public House on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment