Thursday, September 22, 2011

My New Year's Resolution Story

By now you all have learned that I am a picky eater and usually stick to what I know. But this past New Year I made a resolution. I promised that I would learn to like new/more/different kinds of food. My initial goal was that by the end of the year I could go out to eat with Mike somewhere he enjoys for example, Vietnamese or Thai.

You're all laughing aren't you? Like "ya right, Tam, good one". Well so far you are right. Kind of.

It isn't going great. I will say I have tried some things but for the most part nothing has stuck with me. We started out joking that I can begin with beer. I am a Molson Canadian girl to the core. Alexander Keiths is another favourite. But in sticking to my goal I have learned to like Harp, Creemore Springs and Brewster's Original. (Yes, I know they aren't much different then Canadian, but I am trying here people!).

You're wondering how the adventurous eating is going hey? Well I made a shishkebob(sp?) at a friends house and I put on one mushroom, one red pepper and one green pepper! I ate them all! And lately when we bbq steaks at home I'll fry up some mushrooms and eat them with my steak. So what they are covered in butter, I think it counts. I've been eating lots of salmon and rice at work, even ventured as far as ordering a salad for dinner. Crazy!

I should let you know that I'm not anti-vegetables, I just like the basics. Corn, carrots, peas, broccoli, cauliflower, love them all. I even LOVE brussels sprouts and asparagus. (Did you know that it is brussels, not brussel? I didn't until writing this). My 'problem' is that I won't eat an onion or a pepper to save my life. I can't have spicy things-intolerance to pepper-and I hate ethnic flavours. The smell of curry makes me throw up in my mouth.

This isn't looking good. It is September 22nd and I'm no where near eating pho or fish pagodas, or pad thai. But the year isn't over yet.. and hey, I just ate dinner at Red Lobster! That is a story that deserves its own entry.

Stay tuned to find out how well I did eating crab legs :/

No comments:

Post a Comment