Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Do NOT make a mess!

On Sunday afternoon we did a big giant deep clean of the house in anticipation of this weekend.  This Thursday is my 30th birthday, oh man, and Mike has got some big plans in the works.  Its all a secret to me but he is hinting that there could be someone staying in our house to watch the cats while we are "away?".  So after we got down to business and the house was sparkly clean I made this comment.

T:  From today until Friday we are not to make any messes.  That means we are going out for dinner every night so we don't make a mess of the clean kitchen.
M: McDonalds it is, honey.

Well I was only half kidding when I said that but as it turns out, it's happening.  Tonight we are not eating at home, nor Thursday night, but last night we ventured to a new pub.  It was new for me, and Mike's kind of cheating as he's been here one other time maybe 5 years ago.

John Henry's Pub is in the deep south, pretty much on the edge of the city, in the community of Bridlewood.   Nice area, big houses, good schools, random crappy pub.  He remembers it only having a handful of tables and we are not disappointed once inside.   I think I counted 5 tables, but the bar seating was hopping!!  You can tell its the place to go in the neighbourhood, they all seemed to know each other and the bartender very well.    Our server was a friendly lady, who came over quickly, even though her bar was full.   I didn't really read the drink menu but I saw Keith's and ordered that.  Except that I didn't read it was in a bottle.  In hindsight I should have stuck with it because the pint of Canadian I ordered afterwards was flat and warm.  Mike's beer choices faired no better, so lesson learned.  Stick to bottles here.

For dinner, I knew it would be a bit of a stretch.  John Henry's is attached to a Tom's House of Pizza.   If you've been paying attention you'll remember that name from my first blog entry and how the menu left a lot to be desired.  Well, no different here - if not, worse!   They have a pizza menu, with about 6 or 8 other non pizza options.   I have had Tom's pizza before, and frankly, didn't like it.  Too saucy, too spicy etc. so I was stuck with ordering from the "appy" menu.  I chose that term reluctantly because basically I was left with nachos, chicken fingers, garlic bread or lasagna.  Nachos I guess, and can we add chicken?   Server thinks that they can't add chicken because it won't cook properly.  I'm not sure she realizes that restaurants cook all the chicken in the morning then dice it up, so it's pre-cooked basically.  But whatever, I'll eat my nachos with just cheese and tomatoes then.  (I always order them like this then Mike gets the toppings on the side. He's got to build his own nachos just to make me happy.  What a guy.)

Oh ! Surprise! They can do them with chicken!  So that makes me a happy camper, until I start eating them.  The outside edges are burnt.  The top layer had all the good stuff.  I hate when you go to the bottom layer and its just chips.  Sidenote:  pretty sure they were a no name brand of chip.  This makes me a bit mad, but I am very picky on what kind of chips I eat.  I found the tomatoes to be too warm.  Soggy, really.   I knew I wasn't going to eat anymore, and I think Mike felt bad, even though it was my suggestion.  Had there been a drive thru on the way home, I would have gotten in line.  

I did not get the chance to check out the washrooms, although I imagine them to be grungy at best.  We did however get a chance to listen to some music there.  Too loud, crackly tinned speaker type music.  At one point we decided that they should just turn off the music, it was that terrible.   And it was made worse when someone played the jukebox-once the song was over it would flip back to the radio, at twice the volume! My ears hurt, I'm mad the beer was gross, and I'm still hungry because I ate all of 9 nacho chips.

You are off my Christmas Card list, John Henry.
I'd rather go to the Barking Frog :/


Tom's House of Pizza on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. Discount beer Calgary SW

    Find the discount liquor stores near me on Liquorama. We provide discounted liquor, beer, and wine in Calgary. Buy liquor & beer with the best discount. Contact us - (403) 273-1300


    to get more - https://liquorama.ca/about-us/

    ReplyDelete