Wednesday, February 22, 2012

We have been waiting for this one...

In our community there is The Barking Frog Pub.  I use that term reluctantly, as this place is dreary, poorly run and has no redeeming pub quality.  We go often.   You're probably wondering why and the sole reason is because it is literally a 4 minute walk from our house.   When I get off late from work, or we're feeling low key we head over there, usually to come home disappointed.  Whether its the flat beer, or the food, there is normally something wrong.   So let me tell you just how happy we were to find that a new pub is opening on the other end of the subdivision!!

I had driven past the location a few times trying to scope it out.  I could see that it was a restaurant but there was no sign, no opening dates posted on the door, nada.  So I drove by almost every day.  Crazy I know.   We heard from the liqour store next door to it that it should be opening Dec 17th.  But as any lover of Food Network knows - no restaurant opens on time!   Away we went for our Christmas holiday and did a drive by shortly after New Years Eve.  

The Windsor Rose GastroPub!!!!    

T: Babe, the new place is open! I drove by on my way home from work and there's cars and people! Let's go! 
M: Give me ten minutes to get ready. 

(As I type this I realize how borderline crazy we sound)

Oh, gorgeous entrance.  Huge doorways open to a gas fireplace beside the host stand.  Its bright inside and all wood.  The bar is the central focus here, wrapping around in a U shape.  The booths and tables line the outside walls and the is a private dining room to the back corner.  I think what I notice first is how they want to accommodate large parties.  Each booth could hold at least six people and the high top tables are set for eight.  We took a spot at a high table right near the bar, and it turns out, right past the kitchen door.   The bartender looks quite handsomely dressed, in a black shirt and tie, the servers look nice in black shirts and skirts.  A decent change from many Calgary eateries where the girls are required to wear next to nothing.   

This menu is awesome!!  The drinks list takes up one whole side of the gigantic menu - a ton of beers on tap, with a focus on some interesting imports.  Things like Stiegl, Bavaria and ESB.  I write that as if I know what I'm talking about, but really, I ordered a Keith's.  Of course. 

As I am reading the menu I am constantly distracted by servers leaving the kitchen.  The food here looks incredible!  We watched some calzones pass by and they are as big as my head.  Not even joking.  And they come with a side dish as well!   I note that each calzone that has left the kitchen has come back half way finished to be boxed up.    There are so many things on this menu that I want to try.  Unfortunately tonight, I'm the only one eating.  Mike is diving in to all kinds of beers, even a grapefruit one by Stiegl.  But as usual, I'm the hungry one and I go for my trademark at a new place.  Beef dip!! 

This is fancy though, its a French Dip.  I ask for mozzarella cheese on it, and our server agrees.  But then returns saying they don't have any, would I like a different kind?  Strikes me as strange, but yes, swiss will do the trick.  No matter, I just want food.  More and more food is passing our table and it seems the fish & chips are very popular.  Point taken - I'll try those on a future visit. 

My French Dip is sooo good.  Like, better than good.  Amazing.   The french fries that come with it are hot and thick and crispy coated.  Some of you will know what I mean when I say they are "Costco" fries :)  I want one right now. 

The one downfall is they can't take debit or Amex right now, but have provided an ATM in the lobby.  Even to this day, some 45 days later, they still don't accept them.  Come on now people... let's get it together.  I'll grant them this one issue, because everything else has way surpassed our expectations.  Even the bathrooms are gorgeous!  The stalls are spaced out and separate from each other with big wooden full length doors.  A girl likes that kind of privacy.  Pretty swank up in here.

We're on our way to pick up a dog we are watching for a few days so I can't stick around to try anything else and I'm a bit sad panda about that. 

For a pub that had only been open for 7 days they have a good thing going.  I can't wait to come back and try some new beers, and some new food! 

Mike didn't even have to ask me the question this time, it was more of a statement. 

M: We're going back there.  Right?
T:  You betcha!!

And we did. Lots. 
The Barking Frog who?


Windsor Rose on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment