Saturday, January 24, 2015

Happy Birthday!

Usually when it's a birthday in our house that person get to choose which restaurant they want to eat at for dinner. This was no exception for M's birthday a few weeks ago and true to form I am asking a million questions. T: Do you want Thai? What about Viet? I thought about Los Chilitos? M: I don't know babe, we'll figure it out. T: We could go to anything but Indian. How about a pub? Seafood? Steak? (Even I see how annoying I'm being) He comes back a while later and declares that he's got a place in mind. Okay, off we go!


Merchants has been open in Marda Loop for less than 6 months I believe, and seems to be a vast improvement over the old pubs that were there. For example, there used to be a place called Wolfman's (?) where on our first and only visit, at 530pm we see a bar fight. Good sign. If I recall correctly we finished our drink and left back then. This time was much different. Merchants is the newest attempt at the corner/end unit of this strip mall in an increasingly expensive neighbourhood. We go there fairly often to eat or drink because M grew up in that area and he’s got a sweet spot for it. I don’t mind because any time I get to spend with him is okay by me. So even though it’s his birthday, he’s driving and as we approach the subdivision I rack my brain thinking of where we are going to end up. When we pull in here, I’m pretty surprised, I never would have thought of this place. Good for him – one point for M! Where we are parking seems to be the front door but upon approach you see the sign that directs you to the side door. Oh, that seems…strange? For a brand new venue you’d think they have all their doors in order. But, maybe this is a recent occurrence and they’ve found a temporary solution. Regardless, in we go. Through a lovely black curtain. Odd.

This bar is beautiful. I don’t think I’ve ever said that about a place before but this one deserves it. It’s done entirely in warm beige tones, and a huge granite bar in the center. The giant drop chandeliers with old-timey bulbs add to the ambiance. (Shit, I’m an old lady.) At the bar our server comes over quickly and gets us started on some drinks. M, being as smart as his is, has already check the menu so that he knows that there will be something I will drink and eat. Smart, smart man. I have a Keith’s of course and he has a Tool Shed. He’s a tool. LOL. No.

We actually can’t decide on the vibe of this place and so we decide our best game plan is appy’s for now. After reading through everything we both question what the hell a Gnocchi Poutine is. The menu says: Cheese Curds, Ale Gravy, Fried Tomatoes and Crispy Onions. One of these things doesn’t belong comes to mind. Although maybe two to be honest, okay fine – three things. Why the hell are they not using French Fries? Ugh. Don’t fix what ain’t broken! My initial stand point is that a poutine is made with French fries, cheese curds and beef gravy. What the snot is anyone doing putting freaking tomatoes in there?! And on Gnocchi, which sure, is a potato – but it’s not a French fry! But after eating this strange mess of a dish, I’m slightly more okay with their thought process. The gnocchi is soft, like a French fry inside, and the gravy is fine and so are the cheese curds. If I just push the tomatoes and the onions off to the side then I almost have poutine. Except that this happens: M: It tastes like stuffing to me. Like Poutine Stuffing. T: Hm. Really? (eats another bite) Nope, don’t get it. M: Yeah, for sure. This is like Turkey dinner on French-fry-ish-balls. T: I get it in the gravy a little, there must be poultry seasoning in there... or at least sage. But I don’t get the overall Turkey dinner vibe So I give up on the gnocchi. It’s too strange. I move on to the Tuna Tartar. Now this. This is delicious. The BEST tuna tartar I’ve ever had. I am still thinking about it 21 days later. M actually didn’t like it too much, he thought it was way too salty. For me, the soy balanced out the fish perfectly, the bread was lightly toasted, just great. Overall a great dish. I will order this time and again. And it works out because M loved the gnocchi and I loved the tuna. Which we both probably thought would have been vice-versa.

To be totally fair, we left after that. M wasn’t feeling a dinner entre from this locale so we moved on. But when I went to the ladies’ before we left I saw all sorts of event’s we’d come back for. From a prime rib dinner on Thursday nights to a Buck-a-shuck oysters on Tuesdays this place has definitely given us reason to return. Marda Loop is not in our usual routine of places we think of, but it should be, it’s just so far away. I truly hope our next visit is just as enjoyable I can’t wait to try the Lobster Fritters!!


Merchants on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. Check out avenue deli in that area! The closest I have found to an authentic Montreal smoked meat sandwich since montreal! Also Belmont diner has a great brunch (super busy though) and an awesome coffee milkshake!

    ReplyDelete