Friday, September 28, 2012

Let's Eat, Calgary!!

A few times a year M and I will say how we should get out more, do something new, see our city.  You know, be more cultural, or some shit.  The Glenbow Museum, Fort Calgary, Heritage Park etc.   But let's be real here.  We are more beer and food lovers than art and history fans.  But once a year the city puts on an event that combines our love of nourishment with the feeling of "doing something".

Taste of Calgary has taken over the Eau Claire Market landscape for 16 years now with no end in sight.  We've been two times now, and this second trip was a little different for me.  Back two years ago we wandered around looking at all the vendors, me nervous because there didn't seem like there was anything I would eat, and M excited to try all sorts of new things.  Ha...that didn't work out for him.   My vague recollection has us eating ribs, sliders, pulled pork and meatballs.  I honestly can't recall eating anything "new" that trip.  Little did I know that was all about to change when we embark on the grounds for the second time.

M: You can't eat anything normal today, everything has to be new in one way or another.
T: Crap. OK, sure, I'll do it.

We line up to buy our tickets ($1 per ticket, then the booth collects the tickets.  Prices are between 2-6 tickets) and I get the handy map showing each tent, what they serve and what country they are from.  We've also decided that we aren't going to each get our own things - we have to share all of it.  Two reasons: one, it's cheaper that way and two, if I don't like it he can finish it.  Otherwise it's just a waste of cash because mine will end up in the garbage.

T: Look, I know I said I would try new things, but I can't right off the bat.  It's 11 am and I haven't had any breakfast.  I don't think it's a good idea for me to jump into Thai food, so I'm begging for an out.  Can I please have something normal first, and then from there everything will be new.
M: *pauses a beat too long*  Yes sure, here's one from Double Eagle Restaurant and Lounge.

Beef on a Bun.  This is my style :)  I've never heard of this restaurant before but it looks decent so I hand over my tickets for one Beef on a Bun.  I watch as she ladles the meat on to the bun.  Mmmm.  But wait, I hope this isn't spicy...damn, should have asked first.  M has to take the first bite as a spicy/temperature test and he gives me the go ahead.   OH!  That's great!  It is so meaty.  Meaty Meaty.  Could have been chilli it was that thick.  The bun is so soft and warm.  Key point there... crunchy bun is no good.  Wow I think to myself.  This is one we probably should have gotten one each.  I did not want this one to end.  The filling spilled all onto the paper plate and I gobbled it up with my fingers.   Ok, sure I was stalling.  Whatever.  I new what was coming next.

Next door is Shiraz Persian.  Deep breath Tam, you can do this.

T: Is it cheating if I get something that is just chicken and spices?
M: No, babe, go ahead... the fact that you're even doing it is impressive.

I take my cue and order the Kabob-e-Koobideh (Chicken Kabob).  So it's folded sort of like a soft taco, I can see the chunks of chicken and it doesn't smell bad.  Ok, I think I'm ready.  That sauce is tasty! That pita is warm and soft!  This might not be so bad!   HA!  I forced myself to swallow the bite (it's definitely cheating if I spit it out) and look up with my 'ugly' face at M.  He's laughing at me.  The consistency of the chicken is mashed, and the spices are so overwhelming for me it's inedible.  He eats the rest of course and is also a bit disappointed.  He tries to convince me this was a bad example and that if I go with him to an actual restaurant it will be better.  Not sold on that one buddy.   But I tried it and it had elements that I did like.  Practice makes perfect...right?  Does that apply in food?

Not to be discouraged we march on over to Africa!

The Nubian Express is a restaurant not yet open (according to Google) but is run by a Nigerian man and serves some interesting things!  I wanted to try the plantain, but this time it was M's choice and he chose the Suya.   And really Tam...you can't order a banana and pretend it counts as ethnic. ffs.

The English translation of Suya is Spicy African Stick Meat.  And that is exactly what you get.  After you order he starts grilling up your meat.  Don't ask what kind of meat it is.. no idea... probably beef?  It seems to take a really long time to cook.  I say that lightly though because it took about 8-10 minutes, where as the other food vendors have dishes ready to go in hotel pans.  It looks like a flat kabob and is seasoned with Chilli powder and Curry powder along with your usual suspects.  M takes a bite and seems to really enjoy it, but warns me that I'm not going to like it, as he passes it over.  At first I can't get over the stink of the curry.   It's just too much.  But if I get over myself and am honest, it was good.  There was a heat for sure, but nothing that I couldn't handle, I'd even say was yummy.  That tells me a lot about my dislike for heat... there has got to be an explanation as to why things that I should find spicy I don't, and vice versa.  Maybe it's my stupid smoking that eff's with my taste buds.  Minus the curry powder I'd probably love it.  Given that I am a medium-rare kind of girl it was way too chewy and tough, but that's what you get when a sliver of meat is cooked for ten minutes.

Might as well keep going west...Sumo Lounge is up next.

One tuna and one salmon.  I usually only eat sushi when I go with friends, and I only ever order tempura.  Deep fried food...imagine that :)

But I take the inaugural bite and make a face.  Firstly, it's freezing cold.  Secondly, it's so plain, fish on rice.  Booorriing.   I dipped it in a tiny bit of soy sauce, but that didn't help.  Tastes like nothing.  I can get over the raw part, that doesn't really bother me, but I guess it turns out I'm more of a roll girl.  It's got to have more substance for me.  Sushi is probably one of M's favourite foods, and he doesn't go often, because of me.  I've offered a few times and he always says, no it's ok.  One day I'm going to stop offering :)
He did the whole wasabi dip and I knew for sure that I couldn't, so he was on his own to finish it off.  It was good for what it was, it just wasn't for me.

Oh hey, Pacific Hut, that just opened near my work!

Let's try some Filipino!  Eeek...that's brave just typing it.  Thankfully (and everyone else should have done this) there was a young lady out front who you could ask questions without getting in line an being a dink at the counter.    She explained what everything was and I chose the Pork Adobo with Rice.  It seemed safe but still adventurous at the same time.  Slow cooked pork, over rice.  Probably can't go wrong right?  Wrong.  It's a big portion of rice on the bottom of a bowl covered with huge chunks of pork (usually belly from what I gather) and the sauce that the pork has been cooking in.    When I go to take the first fork full I can't help but notice that of the 2 inch squared piece of meat probably half of it is fat.  Skeezed out right off the bat.  I fumble around with my fingers to try and remove a layer or two of the fat.  I just know I won't be able to get it down as is.  I manage enough and decide that it's actually really tasty.  The sauce isn't spicy at all.  Sweet even, and the rice is good, plain, just how I like it.   The pork itself is really tender and moist.  Just too fatty.  I tried to manage another bite but at this point the effort was worth more than the reward.  It didn't bother M as much but we ate most of it.  That's a step in the right direction for me, if I do say so myself.

By this time in the afternoon it was getting really busy and the lines were huge.  I had enough new experiences and I was ready to pack it in.  M decided one last item should be a Jamaican Beef Patty from Caribbean Choice.  Trouble is they didn't have any ready so he went for chicken.  The giant yellow half moon did not look very appetizing.  And the verdict after the first bite showed clearly on M's face.  He isn't one to scrunch up his nose but this one had him stumped.  His words were to the effect of "no flavour", "I don't get it", "I should have waited for the beef".  It didn't help my opinion because we had gone behind the tent to eat and could see into their "kitchen".  I was pretty disappointed to see these ladies selling Patties from a box.  Frozen... like the exact ones you would buy at Superstore.  And warming them up in a big toaster oven.   Pretty sure 7-11 sells the same thing too.  For all the fun and new things we tried that day, it was a disappointment to leave on that note.  

Not to mislead anyone after reading all that, I still do not like ethnic food.  Don't get your hopes up quite yet!  If this event came to town more frequently then I would go and try and learn.  I can't always justify going to the sit down version of the restaurant because if I hate it then what?  I'll be grumpy, M will be upset that I'm grumpy and I'll end up at Burger King on the way home being all sad panda.  If anyone knows of a place in town that is similar, where I can try something here and there, let me know (but please do NOT suggest an Indian Buffet).

Now that fall is here I'm probably going to hunker down and bust out the slow cooker for some plain old meat and potatoes!  But I will go again,  and I will slowly but surely learn.  Even if it involves ugly faces :)








No comments:

Post a Comment